Thursday, March 21, 2013

Forced Nesting

What a month! Or two months. Or winter, really. It seems like everyone I know {and everyone I don't know for that matter} has spent the last two months fighting off sickness after sickness after nasty, annoying sickness. Our house was struck hard a couple weeks ago when Gehrig woke up with a horrible stomach bug {my nightmare, realized}. A week later I woke up with the same bug {another nightmare, realized}. After 12 hours of agony, I also noticed that my Braxton Hicks contractions were feeling awfully strong and strangely close together. A call to the midwife and several more hours of awful brought orders to go to the hospital so they could stop my contractions and monitor me. Long story short: everything's fine and baby's staying put for now. But it did put us on high alert and reminded us that anything can happen...meaning I should probably get ready for this baby's debut.

Thanks to two amazing women (my mom and mother-in-law, who both rushed to the rescue while I was sick), our house got a good, thorough cleaning and, most impressively, the laundry got all caught up. Since then, I've decided to follow a cleaning schedule that will help me maintain an organized house and maybe not have a panic attack the next time we're on our way to the hospital with the prospect of bringing a new person home with us.

So here's what I've been doing on top of the usual picking up clutter and cleaning the kitchen every day:

Monday: Laundry {although, let's be honest, this chore usually takes me until Wednesday to finish}
Tuesday: Clean bathrooms
Wednesday: Floors {vacuum and mop}
Thursday: Miscellaneous project {pick a closet to organize, wash windows, etc.}
Friday: Dust surfaces

Maintaining the clean has always been my biggest challenge, so getting into this routine has made my life much simpler. Instead of a whole day spent doing chores, I just spend a half hour or so each day and the house stays fairly clean.

1 comment:

  1. I just love how you put words to ideas and ideas into words.
    And nesting? Of course ...your due date is less than a month from the date of this post!
    Soon all those little mysteries will be solved. Boy or girl? A second red head? Share a family member's birthday? I can hardly wait....another sweet baby fresh from the hand of God!

    ReplyDelete