Sunday, January 20, 2013

What Just Happened?

Something big is happening this week. There are boxes {oh dear, the boxes} that haven't been opened, moved, or even touched since we moved in 3 1/2 months ago. But a few days ago I launched an insanely-ambitious reorganization of the closets and storage spaces in our home. I was blaming this surge of energy on the fact that I have much more free time this semester, especially now that the holidays are over. However, in a recent conversation with my mother, I got a serious reality check when she said: "Brenna, you're having a baby in three months. It's called nesting."

Ohh yeah...

So phase 1 {of approximately 25} was to organize the bathroom and linen closet. I only took a couple "before" pictures, but trust me when I say the closet looked like we just moved in yesterday and the bathroom was pretty much a blank slate. 
Before. Gross.
After. Less Gross.
After. Beautiful {to me}.


I decided to keep the bathroom decor pretty simple and just give a few splashes of fun, Springy colors. I cleaned some old candle jars out to store my cotton balls and makeup sponges and, after tying some random fabric scraps around them, added to my little girly display on the shelf. {The far right jar has an amazing scrub that I got for Christmas made of just sugar and Olive Oil. Try it, guys.}



We've had this wine rack from Ikea for a long time, but we don't really have a space near the kitchen to hang it, so I decided to use it as a towel holder in the bathroom instead. I like how it complements the painting I made and serves some function.


The candles were part of my Christmas decor, but I like a little sparkle, so they're staying year round.

The best part of this step in my storage revamp is that I finally found a place for things {like board games and DVDs, now sneakily hiding in the linen closet} that were taking up space in other parts of the house. Five less random boxes may not seem like a big deal, but it made a huge difference for the next few phases of the project. More to come...

...Until then, here's why naps are necessary for an almost-two-year-old.

I'm pretty sure this was all because
I made him a waffle for lunch...
Thaaat's better {post-nap and bagel in hand.
I guess I offered the wrong breakfast food}

No comments:

Post a Comment